Thursday, September 2, 2010

Je me souviens: Sugar Pie and Divine Intervention

Being diagnosed with cancer especially when you are an otherwise healthy person can be mind boggling.  As I mentioned in an early blog post, I had a physical in May and everything looked great.  I have a copy of the bloodwork.  I look at it in amazement.  All of my numbers are in the healthy range.  Even my bloodwork after I found the lumps is all good.  I ask myself all kinds of questions.
How can you have a blood cancer and all your bloodwork be good?

How can you walk around feeling healthy and actually be walking around with aggressive tumors invading your body? 

What if I had not found the lumps? or why did I find the lumps?

Today on my walk with Duffy, I started thinking about what I have learned about cancer.  Cancer loves sugar.  It gets so worked up about sugar it glows all pretty on the PET Scan for the radiologist to read.  I am normally not a sweets person.  Anyone who knows me knows that I'm more the beer and nachos kind of girl.  But I started thinking about our trip to Quebec at the end of June and I remembered the sugar pie.  This dessert is amazing and I became a huge sugar pie junkie during our visit.  I think I ate sugar pie everyday we were there.  So on my dog walk this morning, I decided to blog about the power of sugar pie.  Maybe that sugar pie feed the tumors in such a way that they just kept growing.  Growing so much that a week after we returned from Quebec, I felt that lump in my throat.

And then I remembered my trip to Sainte-Anne-De-Beaupre.

http://www.ssadb.qc.ca/
I visited a lot of cathedrals during the trip.  I am personally drawn to them.  I believe there are definitely spots on earth where God's presence is felt more easily.  New age believers call them spiritual vortexes.  I've felt that pull in many places in nature; Sedona, Yellowstone, and even the sunset over a corn field. I've always believed that a church or cathedral can be a man made version of those.   My trip to Sainte-Anne-De-Beaupre was different in that I went alone.  Gary and the kids were tired of cathedrals and they headed off to the honey museum.

Pilgrims from all over the world travel to Saint-Anne-De-Beaupre because it has a history of healing miracles.  Pillars in the front entrance are covered in crutches from people who have been miraculously cured.  I was not there to seek healing.  I was drawn to St. Anne because of our connection as mothers.  It is a beautiful basilica.  While there I lit a candle and prayed for the health of my children.  I wish I could remember with more clarity my actual prayer.  It was more of a plea for their health and safety.  I may have prayed to keep our family healthy.  I now believe my prayer was answered.  I may be one of the miracles of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupre.  What I know for certain is that on June 19th I donated blood to become part of the American Cancer Society's cancer prevention study having no clue that I had cancer.  On June 25th, I lit a candle and said a prayer at the basilica.  On July 4th, I developed the sore throat lump that would lead to my diagnosis.

If not a miracle, I am still blessed.

1 comment:

  1. You are blessed and a blessing to so many! You will have that miracle real soon :)

    ReplyDelete