Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Something is not right - Listening to your body

The timeline of discovery:

July 4, 2010 - I woke up with a sore throat. Not like a scratchy sore throat, I actually joked that maybe Gary had rolled over in the night and hit me. The throat was really sore for 3 days. I started to wonder if the plate used in my cervical fusion last year had somehow broken loose and was pushing on my windpipe. After 3 days of soreness, it got a lot better and became just an annoyance.


July 21, 2010 - Shelby had a scheduled doctor's appointment for her sports physical so I called to see if they could fit me in too. My primary care physician felt the strange lump on my thyroid and agreed it had not been there in May. She put me on a course of antibotics and scheduled me for a thyroid ultrasound.

July 22, 2010 - Relaxing at home after delivering Shelby to MSU for volleyball camp, I decided to check my lymph nodes. My lymph nodes didn't feel any different to me but as I continued on to a breast self exam I felt a marble sized lump in my right breast. It kind of freaked me out but I told myself I bet when I check in the morning it will be gone.

July 23, 2010 - No such luck. The lump was still there in the morning. Luckily, I have an awesome primary care physician, Dr. Stephanie Estrellas and her staff quite honestly kicks butt. I called at 8am and was in her office by 8:30 that morning.  We both decided this was definitely weird.  Thanks to Norma in her office, my Thyroid ultrasound was rescheduled for first thing Monday morning and the great staff at Genesys Diagnostic agreed to also squeeze in a breast ultrasound and diagnostic mammogram.  Sorry for using squeeze and mammogram in the same sentence - I just couldn't help myself.

Let the testing begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment